Wednesday, June 1, 2016

BRINGING FRISBEE TO PERÚ...?

Frisbee is not very popular here :( . For the past 2.5 weeks, I have been stopping in every sports store trying to complete my quest for a frisbee. After the first few failed attempts, I started to ask my host mom, my teachers and random people on the street if they knew where I could buy one. My favorite (but also the most painful) answer I've received so far was, "try the pet store." I haven't actually looked yet, but I highly doubt a frisbee at a pet store would be up to regulation standards. Might have to settle for a cloth one or something...

I did bring one frisbee to Perú to give to my host mom. Although it was a gift, I've been using it. That's how presents work, right??

As part of our exchange program at UNIFÉ, some of us volunteered to talk about an aspect of our lives specific to the states while a student translated what we said into Spanish. When Monica asked for volunteers, I was envisioning a very laid back exercise in which we spoke to a small group of UNIFÉ students. So I volunteered!

Upon arrival, we were shuffled into a large conference room with a podium and microphone aka not a laid back setting. Turns out, each of us were going to speak in front of the entire college of translation. I was the last of the four to speak. I was getting a little nervous as I saw that some of my peers stood behind the podium with notes and that I had barely thought about what i was going to say. As they presented, I brainstormed a few of the things I would talk about. Things like; the tryout process; spirit of the game; the rules; tournaments; social aspects etc..

However, when it was my turn, I somehow managed to talk about none of these! Instead, I went on and on about a Halloween tournament in which all of us dress up as bananas or cows and play frisbee. I tend to kind of black out during presentations so that's about all I remember saying. At the end, I threw a frisbee to my friend Lexi who was sitting in the audience. Although we were only a few feet apart, she proceeded to rocket the frisbee straight toward the woman who was translating my speech. 

Overall, a very inaccurate representation of ultimate frisbee...

No comments:

Post a Comment