Wednesday, June 1, 2016

TALKS AND ROCKS

Today during our grammar class, we spent less time focusing on sentence structure/vocab/conjugations and more time on discussing the relevant issues in Lima and the US. The two hour class flew by!! We spent the majority of the period talking about environmental issues which I was very happy about. Unfortunately, Perú doesn't have many environmental policies or regulations in place. I think I've seen a total of 4 recycling bins in the past 2.5 weeks. Our teacher, Romeo, says this is a result of poor education and the fact that Perú faces more eminent problems than climate change. Hopefully, the next president (election day is on Sunday!!) will focus more on environmental issues. 

After class, we headed to UNIFÉ for a lesson in Peruvian Literature. I had been feeling pretty sick in the morning from accidentally drinking the water or something so I honestly didn't catch much of the discussion. I spent most of the lecture planning out various escape routes in case I was going to puke. I found that my best option was to just lean my head out of the window next to my desk (although we our classroom was on the third floor). Luckily, I didn't end up throwing up!

Still feeling a little strange, I boarded the bus with my program to explore El Museo de Oro y Armas (museum of gold and weapons). I'm not a huge fan of guns and knives so this museum was así así.

Around 6:00pm, our program's activities came to an end. A couple of us decided we wanted to continue the day with a visit to the rock gym. Although it took us a little over than an hour of walking in and out of the back alleys of Miraflores, we all had a great time climbing. It was especially cool because the entire gym was outside! I guess they can do that here considering it hasn't rained in Lima in 47 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment